Yorkshire Tea Fruit Loaf

by Insomniac Mummy on March 6, 2012

When it comes to cakes and all things dessert, I’m a bit of an old-fashioned girl.

Having descended from a long line of fruit cakes lovers, it’d be a disgraceful of me not to have my own tried and tested recipe. And, being a Yorkshire lass, what better way to enjoy it than my own Yorkshire Tea Fruit Loaf?

This tea loaf is really easy to make. It’s basically a boiled fruitcake recipe, so no overnight soaking, or tiresome mixing required. You’ll end up with a deliciously moist, fruit packed, tea loaf that would work as an iced fruit cake too. Just swap the loaf tin, for a cake tin!

Yorkshire Tea Fruit Loaf

Ingredients:

• 250g dried mixed fruit – choose whatever you like, I use a luxury mix with cranberries, sultanas, pineapple and apricots.
  • 100g glacé cherries – halved
  • 100g soft dark brown sugar
  • 100g butter
  • Zest of one orange
  • 250ml strong black tea – I use Yorkshire Tea, naturally!
  • 1 medium egg – beaten
  • 220g self raising flour
Method:
  1. Line a 2lb loaf tin with grease proof paper, or a loaf tin liner.
  2. In a large pan combine the dried fruit, cherries, butter, sugar, zest, and tea. Simmer over a medium/low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the pan. Whilst the mixture is cooling, heat the oven to 150°C.
  4. Once cooled, add the beaten egg, and the flour, and stir until well combined.
  5. Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 1 hour 20 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  6. Leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  7. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie is a working mum. In her spare time she spends far too much time waffling on the internet. She's a Twitter addicted Facebook fanatic, and an all round social media butterfly. You can also find her on Google + as Insomniac Mummy. She once walked across England and is planning on walking 100K in one day in May 2014 for Cancer Research. All she really wants is a good night's sleep...

Drop Ellie a line, if you like!

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Corinne March 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

Wow, that looks gorgeous, now I am a Yorkshire lass (Okay, I’m a Brighton girl living in Yorkshire) I will have to try making it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Corinne recently posted..Learning to Talk

Honest Mum March 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Being a Yorkshire lass (originally Greek one at that) I feel a bit of a fraud not having had or making this so will try and amend that asap. Thanks, looks delicious!
Honest Mum recently posted..Papa G’s Falafels

Missing Sleep March 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Looks yummy, I will put the kettle on ;) x
Missing Sleep recently posted..Imaginext Batmobile Review

working london mummy March 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm

a fab recipe , thanks for including it in the blog carnival!

Rachel July 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Gorgeous recipe and had to give it a go – I made a few adjustments (lack of ingredients and pure curiosity – I definitely wish I added some glacé cherries however) and have blogged it but, of course, given you full credit. I just thought you’d like to know that :)
..Xx
Rachel recently posted..Tea and cake, a match made in heaven: Yorkshire tea fruit loaf.. Xx

Louise September 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Lovely cake and nice easy recipe. My 7 year old son and I had a lovely time cooking on a Saturday afternoon.

A small thing, though. The first instruction is to preheat the oven. My oven takes about 10 minutes to heat up to 150 C. But the recipe calls for the fruit to be cooked for 30 minutes then cooled completely (at least another 30 minutes). So my oven would have been on for well over an hour, empty.

Don’t think the planet (or I!) can afford this. Would be great if you could move that instruction further down the recipe.

Otherwise, yum!

Insomniac Mummy September 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Louise,

You make a very good point (although my old, dilapidated oven takes more then a wizzy 10 mins LOL)! I’ll move the preheat instruction lower, from point one, down to three.

Thanks,

Ellie

LoisPitchfork November 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Lived in Yorkshire for 15 years, married a Brit. I used to make him the fruit loaf alot. Miss him, and the tea loaf, but will certainly try this. Thank you.

Homelovingirl31 January 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Just going to give this a try. Being a Scots lass myself, I have done a lot of different things, but like the idea of using Earl Grey and as I have some dried fruit left over from Christmas, will use that up. Will add dried cranberries in too, will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Camilla @FabFood4All June 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’ve never made a boiled fruit cake and yours looks and sounds wonderful. We’re on a health kick right now otherwise I’d be onto this like a shot. Thank you for sharing your lovely regional recipe;-)
Camilla @FabFood4All recently posted..Chicken Curry

Gillian Arger November 25, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Yorkshire lass making this in Italy- delicious and much nicer that Italian cakes!

Insomniac Mummy November 28, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I hope you enjoyed it! I made it just last week on the request of my family – they love it!