When M&S asked me to choose something from their lingerie range as an early Christmas gift to myself I jumped at the chance.
I wanted to pick something I’d choose as a gift, but not something that I’d never use. Something that wouldn’t just languish in my wardrobe, untouched and unloved. I think it’s safe to say that buying a gift for me is a pretty tough task. I’m not the kind of person that chooses extravagant things and I’m always more likely to go for comfort and pampering, over edgy and stylish – that’s just me!
I toyed momentarily with the idea of a sexy negligee (oo-er), but knew that it wasn’t suitable attire for sorting the kids out, and opening the door to the postman in the morning. Then, at the opposite end of the scale, I considered ordering a onesie, but realised that at the wrong side of 35 years old, perhaps it was a tad too young for me.
Neither really suited my personality.
So, with my penchant for comfort and decadence in mind, here are my tips for buying the perfect lingerie/nightwear gift:
- Always buy with the recipient in mind, never yourself! You might quite fancy the thought of her in that racy number with suspenders, but she may recoil in horror at the very thought!
- Make sure you know her size. There is nothing worse than opening a gift, especially lingerie, that is too big or too small! It’s embarrassing for both giver and recipient, and the gift is likely end up in the back of a cupboard! Check her underwear drawer for recent purchases so you know the sizes she needs!
- Make sure you consider her personal style. Is she sporty, always on the move, a suited and booted professional, a comfort seeker?
- Remember that lingerie is more than fancy bras and knickers! Nightwear and robes can be just as special, especially combined with a bit of pampering!
- And last but not least, if all else fails and you get it completely wrong, keep the receipt and let her swap it for something she really loves!
After pondering for what seemed like an age I came to the decision that what I’d really like was a lovely robe – something I’ve always wanted, but never actually had! Something that reminds me of hotel stays, and spending decadent afternoons reading a book, wrapped up all cosy and warm after a long, hot soak in a bubble bath.
M&S very kindly delivered me the Per Una Pure Cotton Hooded Spot Velour Towelling Dressing Gown.
It’s wonderfully soft on the outside, with a towelling lining so I can have my decadent bath, and pop my fabulous new robe straight on – no need for faffing with a towel. It feels like my own little bit of luxury!
Now that’s the perfect gift for me this Christmas, but what’s yours?
Disclosure – M&S provided me with a product for review purposes.